Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight
This post is not organized, it’s more a place to save useful links. I hope you’ll find what you need !
Please note that I have a NST with GlowLight. It was also published on the XDA Forum here.
Differents version : on the SD Card (128 Mb or 2 Gb), or integrated in the system, see here - XDA.
For launching it, just power on the Nook and press the two lower buttons (left & right) when the screen change for “Read Forever”, and wait for the recovery
Kernel installer via CWM : Download this archive file here and place the uImage and uRamdisk files in the /boot directory, then flash it.
Compatible with the 1.2.x system :
- v166 : Wifi, GlowLight, NoRefresh2, 1 Ghz - XDA Link
- v174 : Wifi, (GlowLight) sans on/off, NoRefresh2, 1 Ghz - XDA Link
- v174mod : Wifi, GlowLight, NoRefresh2, 1 Ghz - XDA Link
- Not tested : Kernel with USB-Host : original version and version with the SD10 patch.
- Just in case, the original NSTG kernel
FastMode application: GitHub and FastMode2 : XDA : very useful to switch refreshing mode !
Finally, you’ll find some useful scripts here.
Base 1.1.x (NST) :
- TouchNooter 2.1.31 : not tested
Base 1.2.x (NST et NSTG) :
- GlowNooter 1.12.25 : 1.2.0
- pinguy1982 Tweaked Modded ROM
- 1337 ROM
- Original 1.2.1 - B&N USA : English only, no dictionaries
- Original 1.2.1 - B&N UK : Multi-lingual, dictionaries
- Install via CWM : check Install zip > Toggle Signature Verification before installer
- If the checking process doesn’t work, try a repack with the 1337 ROM (take the modded update.zip from it and replace all the files with the official one). The verification isn’t needed with this method.
- Root with Nook Manager
Some useful applications
- Nook Clear Screen-ST/GlowLight
- Amazon Kindle for Nook
- ADW Launcher : I used this version (google it !) : (ADW.Launcher_v1.3.6_Standalone) with this eInk theme.
- Calibre Sync : sync Nook with a Calibre PC, see the author site
- Scan Media to refresh the list of books in the B&N Reader app.
- Book button menu, to customize the book button.
- LinkPush : send links to the Nook. The android application is not mandatory, just save this bookmark : http://http://linkpush.appspot.com/go.
- APK-Info, to check the proprieties of an APK on Windows
- Extended power menu : doesn’t work with me !
- Best Android non-PDF Reader Apps for NST
- Some RAM ameliorations
Usefuls ADB commands
- Remount the system with Read-Write rights :
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/stl12 /system
- See the actual CPU speed (BogoMIPS) :